Saturday, May 26, 2012

Working on a Saturday night links

I can't talk about the Euro 2012 football guides. It's too fresh. I have spent more time than is healthy or normal with Tomas, our Czech designer, and all of it has been via Skype. I've never actually met the dude, but we've been collaborating on guides in 8 languages and now Tomas is the person I have the most contact with. Tomas knows when I shower. What I'm having for dinner. That I need to go out and buy 400 beers. He's like my e-husband. He also has absolutely no reaction to most of the things I say. When I describe a coworker's edits as "tedious as fuck" or our boss as a "madman" he says nothing. The only hint that he's human are the rare times he mentions his need for a cigarette. On the off chance that he's a robot powered entirely by tobacco I am not going to suggest he quit. On to the links:

1. Best thing I saw this week.

2. This story was everywhere this week, but in case you didn't see it.

3. Almost every time I do a freelance assignment I marvel at the fact that my dad somehow made a living and supported a family as a fulltime freelance writer (what's the difference between a writer and a pizza? a pizza can feed a family of four). It's insane. My uncle recently forwarded me this article my dad wrote for the Renal Support Network - ugh I know, sounds boring, but it's primarily about his career (you can skip the dialysis chat at the end, though I thought it was interesting).

4. Want to experience an essential part of Polish life? Watch co-worker Garrett's video on what a Polish milk bar is like. He *hates* that this video exists and gets seen, but it's great.

 5. A reason to get in your car this Memorial Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment