Thursday, November 17, 2011

Too much kissing

It was a very International weekend in Warsaw. On Thursday night I went out with a Dutch guy, and Friday night I went to a party comprised of French, Georgian, Belorussian, Polish and Spanish people. On every occasion the cheek-kiss greeting and farewell was deployed by my new acquaintances, which obviously caused me to recoil.

That's not to say last weekend was my first encounter. All my female coworkers toss cheek-kisses out liberally, and I mainly stand there like a robot and just say "Oh! Oh! Hello! So much sugar!" Last weekend the cheek kissing was at critical mass, though, and I'm not entirely sure it's something I will adapt to. First of all, I'm not sure what the protocol is for how many kisses you're supposed to throw down. The Dutch guy said that in his country it's one if you don't really know someone and three if you do (note: I got upgraded from one to three between the start and finish). All the creepy French dudes automatically did three even though I couldn't pick them out of a lineup. And I've seen Polish people do 1-2.

When I was leaving the party on Friday the creepy French guys all geared up for the standard farewell kisses, to which I put my hands up and said, "No. I'm American. We don't touch." That's not entirely true, of course, but we're definitely not a nation of kissers. If you come visit me we can hug at the airport. If you're Shannon I will poke you in the tit. And if you're Grace I will squeeze you until you yell, "Get off of me!" but I don't greet my good friends with kisses, so strangers? Seems a little too intimate.

Programming note: Phoebe will be in Poland starting Saturday. There will obviously be a guest post of Phoebelinks. There will also be a healthy dose of fuckery in Paris for Thanksgiving. I will liveblog it if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment