Thursday, August 11, 2011

Grace is visiting links!


1. This opinion piece is a little all over the place, but I thought this was interesting: "Dutch drivers are taught that when you are about to get out of the car, you reach for the door handle with your right hand — bringing your arm across your body to the door. This forces a driver to swivel shoulders and head, so that before opening the door you can see if there is a bike coming from behind." Simple as that.

2. My 36 square meters seems extravagant compared to what this guy is used to.

3. 9/11 stuff is going to get seriously out of hand soon with the 10th anniversary, but the NYTimes "portraits of grief" series is a-mazing. They wrote what I would essentially describe as obituaries for *every single person* who died that day. And won a Pulitzer Prize for it to boot. Now they're doing follow-ups on some of those people to see how things changed for their families. Pretty interesting.

4. The top 10 most visited countries in the world. I was surprised by some of these.

5. You try to go on a date and a riot breaks out and your father wants you dead. Makes our slow going on the whole gay marriage thing actually look like progress.

1 comment:

  1. 2. Word.
    4. Do I trust this? Like the WHO, I'm sure they're using self-reported numbers, and I'm skeptical. Malaysia gets more tourists than Australia?
    5. In contrast to the Suquamish Tribe.

    ReplyDelete